Friday, February 6, 2009

Africa: Take 2

Back in November, I'd gotten word from the Peace Corps Placement Office, that although I had recognizable skills, I just didn't have the experience they were looking for. My understanding is this had something to do with funding, or lack thereof.

I guess I'd kind of resigned my thoughts to the point that it just wasn't in the cards for me right now. I went to the side of it that I'll have plenty of time and the Peace Corps might be something I can do later in life.

Then, to my surprise, a woman from church sent out a letter detailing what she wants to do for her next mission. See, she has gone a few times to a village in Kenya to work with women and children that have been orphaned, abused, and homeless. She has helped with many other projects from creating jobs for women, find educators for productive farming, and matched American sponsors to orphaned children. There is so much more than that, but those are just a few.

When I first moved back to Wisconsin, I was using the church's wireless to hang out on my laptop, and while I was there, this lady came in looking for help. She needed to create a powerpoint presentation about these African missions, but didn't know how. Seeing that I had all the time in the world, I said I'd help her out.

Now she thinks that I'm completely computer talented and wants me to go to Africa with her to help with the administration and technical aspects that this expanding project needs. I must say, I think she's got more confidence in my computer capabilities than I deserve. Apparently, I come across to everyone as a techie, but they are totally wrong. If my computer doesn't work, I fuss and whine, and ask my Love to fix it. Granted, I guess I can fix most things on my own, but yeah... We'll see.

The other thing is that she wants to get a book/calendar published using writings from someone that's been there and using photos taken by volunteers. I took a picture when Love and I went to Colorado that countless people have loved and at an auction for the church it sold for upwards of $70. Knowing that, she wants me to be the photographer. So, not only would I get to go to Africa, but I would be PUBLISHED! For some reason, I can't find a single bad thing about that. Haha.

So here are the negatives:

  1. This trip would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500 dollars or more.
  2. It would take place shortly after Love and I get married.
  3. Love WOULD be able to go with me, BUT he's going back to school, has his full time job, and since we'll have taken time off for the wedding, he might not have time off to go to Africa
  4. I might not be able to get time off, depending on the job I get.

The pros:

  1. Mission to Africa. (Nuf' said)
  2. Create an administration program. (Can we all scream EXPERIENCE!)
  3. Having writings and photos published for distribution. (Wicked exciting)
  4. Strong probability for fundraising to knock down costs. (Isn't there some sort of tax deduction for mission work overseas?)
  5. One hell of a honeymoon story to tell our grandkids. "Yeah, we skipped out on the private Caribbean island to volunteer our time and talents to women and children from a war-torn country."

I'm sure there are way more for both the pro and con list, but I just wanted to throw this out there. I'm hoping God will provide some answers. This is a second opportunity to go to Africa and one that would allow my Love to go too, and if it still isn't right, I'll believe him, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

On a different note, I have really gotten into quilting. I've made a baby blanket and pillow for a certain Baby B that we're all excited for, a piano music bag for my sister for her birthday, a decorative pillow for my Mom-in-Law (future), and have started a bed quilt to give to my Love as a wedding present. I have my crafty days.

P.S. I'm really hoping Africa works out in some way.

1 comment:

stillarockstar said...

I vote YES on Africa (if it's in place of an expensive honeymoon)...your listed pros far outweigh the cons, if you can hack the cost. This is an opportunity that benefits more than just your personal life (experiences), but also professionally - can't beat that!

...& I'm jealous!! :P

Good luck with the decision & whatever is supposed to "be", will "be".