Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bitten By The Travel-bug

As the thundersnow was encasing the entire midwest, I was warm and cozy behind my desk at work. Patients were cancelling all their appointments, except for one one lady. And she sparked the travel-bug in me.

See, as I was about to reschedule her, I asked her when she was free and she said, she wanted to come back one more time before she went on vacation. I responded with the characteristic and generic comment of, "Ooh, vacation. I'm jealous. When do you leave?"

She responded with a, "Well... I don't really know."

Now, I'm pretty sure that if I were going to take a vacation, I would know for sure, without a doubt, spot on time that I was leaving. That is the start of your whole vacation, right?

So then I asked her, well, where are you going then? I suppose you wouldn't need to know an exact day you were leaving if it was just going to be a short little trip to the lake or something of the like.

"Egypt," she responded.

"YOU'RE GOING TO EGYPT AND YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHEN YOU ARE GOING?!" was my exact reaction.

"Yeah, I'm going with my husband and a tour group. We're spending eleven days in that part of the world."

"Ooh," I said, "I'm jealous. I loved Israel and have been wanting to travel some more lately."

And you know what she said? She's going to Israel too!

Never once have I ever found a single person that wants to, is serious about, or going to Israel. It seems as if everyone in this part of the world sees it as some huge danger. For those of you that think it's too dangerous, you are making yourselves one of the most deprived people in the world. Israel is amazing. I have nothing bad to say about it and would recommend it as a vacation destination to everyone. In fact, if you're going any time soon, let me know. I'll go with you. You're more likely to get killed in the US during rush hour traffic than you are in another country by weapons and hatred.

So here I sit. Totally wishing that this storm was over and that I was getting on a plane tomorrow to visit one of the best places in the world. Israel is truly amazing. I will never stop believing that and I will tell everyone how wonderful it was.

And to that lady at work.... Take me with you!

No comments: