Sunday, March 21, 2010

National Quilting Day

It is my understanding that yesterday was National Quilting Day. Now, I am WELL aware that it is kinda goofy. It is just a day to make people appreciate quilting, right?

But in an unrelated purpose, I took yesterday as my day to help another person learn to appreciate the art of sewing. Years ago, my Mom did this for me. In fact, I'm pretty sure that sewing is meant to be in my blood. It kind of comes naturally to me, but maybe that is because I have at least four generations of sew-ists in my family. I'm not sure that I'd call them all "quilters" or "seamstresses", but there it is more a combo of both.

So, I took my friend fabric shopping yesterday to help her pick out her fabric for her first quilt. I was a little worried about the instant gratification piece because she was talking about making a baby onesie too. I'm kinda chicken to venture out too far from "easy", so this worried me. Deciding to start basic, she picked out some ADORABLE blues and browns for a baby quilt.

My project yesterday was a quilt for the Downy Touch of Comfort project. They have partnered with Quilts for Kids to provide handmade quilts to children in hospitals. I requested to receive a quilt packet of "rescued", or otherwise thrown out, fabric and turn it into a quilt. I'll post more on this next.

Anyway, it was a good day. Happy National Quilting Day!

No comments: