Tuesday, March 30, 2010

PROM DRESS!

When my baby sister texted me that she was going to prom, I totally flashbacked and got EMBARASSINGLY excited for her.  I kind of feel that I'm reliving my high school days by being close to her, and this was NO exception.

I got really excited and asked her to go prom dress shopping with me.  Again, it should have been the other way around; either she would have asked me to go with her, or the realistic point of her just going with her friends.  Who really wants to go shopping with your older sister?  Isn't that like taking your dad?

But then one morning she sent me a few frantic texts of pictures, her wearing different dresses and which one should she get?  What jewelry goes with it?  What could her date wear if she got this dress or that dress?

OooOoh!  I was so excited that she was asking me.  Thoughts of beautiful dresses flashed in my eyes and my mind started reeling with things to add or do to whatever dress to make it super trendy and unique.  She had to bring me down a couple notches.

Being the classy chick that she is, she wants to be more "sharp" and "classy" and "sophisticated", rather than "I-want-people-to-remember-my-ultra-trendy-just-like-the-great-80's-poufy-sleeve" for prom.  She found this GREAT medium-toned, brown dress with pintucks all the way to the ground and a beautiful ribbon at an empire waist.  Only problem was that it was just a little too long and even though she's convinced she needs 5" heels, she still needed some alteration to the length.

We went shopping today for shoes for her, and even though she didn't find any, she got a few good leads.  THEN we found the find of the CENTURY: her date's tie.  It is my understanding that he already has a suit that he wanted to wear, but he doesn't know how to really coordinate with a girl's dress [makes sense... boys...], so he asked her to help him figure out what to wear.  I must say, I'm pretty impressed with the image in my head of these two prom-goers.  I'm excited for her!

So, tonight was all about the dress.  Who knew I could do alterations on prom dresses?

No comments: